When considering buying a new-to-you used car, many drivers look to brands and models with a track record of dependability and low maintenance needs. Buying a used car that is easy to maintain typically saves you money and time on future repairs.
Obviously used cars come at a lower sticker price when compared to their new-car counterpart, but that doesn’t guarantee they won’t cost you a chunk of change down the road. At Naylor's Auto Repair, we've serviced countless models and have insights into which used cars are the most reliable and easiest to maintain.
Proven Used Cars You Can Trust
Certain car models have built a reputation over the years for their durability and minimal maintenance needs. We’ve seen this proven time and time again in our shop. For additional accuracy, we found this report from Trusted Choice, to sum up which used car models, makes, and years to be cheap to maintain.
- 2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverados: Known for their robust build and minimal mechanical issues.
- 1996-2016 Honda CR-V: A favorite among families for its safety and reliability.
- 2001-2016 Honda Civic: A compact car with a long-standing reputation for durability.
- 2003-2014 Honda Accord: A midsize car that rarely disappoints in terms of maintenance.
- 1998-2017 Toyota Corolla: Its longevity is legendary.
- 2008-2015 Toyota Camry: Another Toyota model that promises fewer trips to the mechanic..
- 2008-2015 Nissan Altima: A sedan that balances performance with reliability.
What Brands Have The Most Dependable Models?
While the above models are known for their ease of maintenance, some cars are recognized for their overall dependability. A JD Power rating highlighted the following:
Compact Car: Kia Forte stands out, but Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra are close contenders.
Compact Premium SUV: Lexus NX leads the pack, with Cadillac XT4 and BMW X3 not far behind.
Large SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe is the top pick, closely followed by the GMC Yukon.
Midsize SUV: Chevrolet Blazer is a favorite, with Hyundai Santa Fe and Ford Edge as strong alternatives.
Midsize Premium SUV: Lexus RX is the top choice, but Lexus GX also shines.
Small SUV: Toyota C-HR leads, with Buick Encore and Chevrolet Trax as worthy mentions.
Upper Midsize SUV: Toyota Highlander is a favorite, with Kia Sorento and Toyota 4Runner also being reliable choices.
Large Heavy-Duty Pickup: Chevrolet Silverado HD stands out.
Large Light-Duty Pickup: GMC Sierra leads, with Toyota Tundra as a close second.
Midsize Pickup: Toyota Tacoma is the top pick, followed by Chevrolet Colorado.
Minivan: Toyota Sienna is the most dependable, with Kia Sedona also being a reliable choice.
How To Best Maintain a Used Vehicle
The best way to ensure your car stays in the best condition possible is to keep up on routine maintenance. These include:
- Scheduled oil changes every 5,000 miles or six months, depending on your car and type of oil used.
- Have the transmission and differential fluid changed as often as your car's manufacturer specifies.
- Keep a healthy level of coolant in the reservoir, and have any leaks fixed when they are discovered.
- Don’t skip out on replacing wheel bearings when they begin to deteriorate.
- Change brake pads once they begin squeaking and maintain good brake fluid levels.
At Naylor’s we are proud to offer all of these routine services and much more to our customers. We specialize in the repair and maintenance of several foreign car brands like Toyota, Subaru, Lexus, Acura, and more. We welcome everything from standard sedans, to trucks, SUVs, and even diesels.
If you are getting ready to purchase a used car and would like a second opinion, be sure to take advantage of our pre-purchase inspections. And when your car has officially surpassed its warranty at the dealership, Naylor’s is ready to help you keep up on all of your routine maintenance and repairs.
Visit Naylor’s Auto Repair for Used Car Repair
When it comes to maintaining your vehicle, trust the experts. Call us or schedule an appointment online at Naylor’s Auto Repair. New or used, we are here to help your car stay on the road for many miles to come.